Heavy Engineering & Fabrication Jobs in Christchurch
Supporting the wider manufacturing sector in Christchurch is a sophisticated supply chain of more than 350 sheet-metal fabrication and heavy engineering companies supplying sub-assemblies, components and parts to local, national and international customers in a wide range of industrial markets.
Many of these companies have built their competitive advantage through early engagement with their customers during the design process combined with flexible manufacturing systems to respond quickly to customer demands while controlling costs and quality. Others have built their strategy on a continued investment in technology such as laser profile cutting, CNC machining and tooling, M Press robotics, and powder coating.
Meet some of the heavy engineering employers
- Mace Engineering is one of New Zealand’s largest heavy precision engineering companies. Its facilities include a non-ferrous foundry and machine shop with high-speed five-axis machining and large vertical and horizontal milling to service the defence, energy, aviation and automotive markets.
- Lyttelton Engineering is based at the Port of Lyttelton where it specialises in ship repairs, steam boiler manufacture, heavy steel fabrication & machining and industrial site work.
- John Jones Steel is structural steel fabricator and erector servicing the commercial and industrial construction sectors.
- Pegasus Engineering is another structural steel fabricator and erector and a major player in the Christchurch rebuild.
Meet some of the sheet-metal fabrication employers
- Steel & Tube, which manufactures long-run roofing steel.
- B&D Doors is New Zealand’s largest manufacturer of proprietary garage doors.
- Spanbild is headquartered in Christchurch and one of New Zealand’s largest manufacturers and builders of residential, commercial and rural buildings.
- Shape NZ is a contract manufacturer whose product range includes broadband rack array cabinets and electronic parking meters.
- ENI Engineering is a major manufacturer of metal components for the domestic electricity sector.
- Carlton Taylor Industries — with facilities that include sheetmetal fabrication and aluminium die-casting, it services a range of sectors including rail, electronics, mining, construction, telecommunications, and medical devices.
- Metalcraft Engineering specialises in design and build metal work for the construction sector and is a successful exporter of its proprietary glass racking solutions.